5 Strategies to Keep Your Teeth Looking Pearly White
As we age, our teeth start losing their natural whiteness and translucency. Much of what we consume can lead to discolouration or yellowing of the teeth, dampening our once bright smile. Coffee and wine lovers, for example, are especially susceptible to accumulating stains on their teeth.
Like many family dentists in Oakville, we offer teeth whitening or bleaching treatments. However, our experienced Oakville Dental Offices’ team of oral care professionals can help you achieve the optimal whiteness while minimizing any side effects such as teeth sensitivity.
Protect your pearly whites with these 5 prevention hacks to fight against teeth staining for a longer-lasting, radiant smile:
- Use a straw: Sipping the usual teeth-staining culprits—like coffee, tea and wine—through a straw is a simple yet effective solution to prevent against staining. Drinking through a straw means the liquid will not touch the visible front surfaces of your teeth.
- Cut back on items that stain: Are you sure you really need that third cup of coffee? Simply cutting back on foods and beverages with high staining potential can significantly reduce the chances of discolouration in the long run. Swap your afternoon tea for foods with natural teeth whitening properties like apples, celery and carrots.
- Rinse with water: Many richly coloured foods that offer a nutritional punch are also known to stain teeth. Instead of missing out on the disease-fighting antioxidants that berries, beets and citrus foods provide, get in the habit of rinsing your mouth with water right after their consumption.
- Wait to brush: Many dentists recommend waiting 30 minutes after eating acid-rich foods to brush your teeth. Acid weakens tooth enamel, so brushing immediately after will only cause more damage by smearing leftover particles into your teeth further. Instead, let your saliva do its job of washing away some of those pesky particles first.
- Get your teeth professionally cleaned: While proper homecare is a great way to ensure long-term oral health, visiting your Oakville dentist at least twice a year for a more thorough cleaning is highly recommended for a healthy smile. Our Monastery Dental and North Oak Dental clinics offer quick and efficient teeth cleaning services for your entire family, so that you and your children can continue to beam bright.
When your smile sparkles, so too does your inner confidence. If you feel self-conscious because of a lacklustre smile, then don’t wait to consult your family dentist for a plan of action. To reverse the years of everyday staining or yellowing on your teeth, our Oakville clinics also offer cost effective, optimal teeth whitening treatments with minimal side effect that come from professional guidance and clinical grade bleaching technique and materials.
Talk to your trusted Oakville dentist to find out if teeth whitening is right for you—contact us for a consultation today!